Click to view our site more efficiently or click to access your Student's Briefcase.
|Genealogical research is a satisfying pastime for the family
historian and a rewarding occupation for the professional genealogist. To support the needs of both amateur family historians
and aspiring professional genealogists for reliable and comprehensive education we have designed a series of courses (Basic,
Intermediate, Advanced and Electives) leading to various Certificates in Genealogical Studies with specialization in various countries.|
The National Institute for
Genealogical Studies provides web-based courses for both family historians and professional genealogists.
Students should understand that the use of the term 'professional' is not narrowly related to those genealogists who offer research services for hire. The term professional is being used to describe professionalism in all aspects of genealogy. Professional genealogists must ensure the application of recognized standards to any and all endeavours. Your project may include:
A professional genealogist strives for the application of recognized standards in all of these.
- a small booklet for your own relatives on a portion of their ancestry;
- a newsletter you produce for a family association;
- a (volunteer) answer to a query letter for your society;
- a (work-related) response to a query coming to your library or archives;
- a paragraph for your own or family benefit where you describe a process by which you reached a genealogical conclusion from conflicting or difficult sources (this is a proof argument);
- a full fledged descending or ascending genealogy;
- a direct-line pedigree study;
- an article you want to write for a peer journal;
- any projects involving software, making allowance for proper citations;
- preparing a talk or lecture for a public forum;
- creating a genealogical workshop or ongoing instructional program.
A complete description of the program and of each course, is provided on this site.
If you would prefer to
discuss your needs or concerns voice to voice, please do not hesitate to call us toll free at 1-800-580-0165 or locally at (416) 861-0165. You may also contact us by
e-mail at info@GenealogicalStudies.com.
Here are just a few comments to get you started:
- To automatically receive course updates and newsletters by e-mail, click Subscribe.
- To view the description of courses offered, click Courses.
- To view a list of courses scheduled, click Course Calendar.
- To enroll in a course of your choice, sign in at Subscribe, then
- We have tried to answer most questions on this site, click FAQ for Frequently Asked Questions. If your question is not included, click Contact Us to
send us message. We will be more than happy to assist you!
Copyright © 1999-2022, National Institute for Genealogical Studies. All Rights Reserved.